I can't say I wasn't expecting it though.. After seeing every one's reaction, or lack thereof, to our speeches, our policies and my testimonial on Facebook, I spent the entire day today coming to terms with it before the results tonight.
This is what I wrote on FB in defense of my team:
I thought I should say a few words for Team A, just some thoughts I have which I should share.
Before joining the run for JCRC I was a neutral party.. I felt both teams had their strong points and are capable in their own ways. Why did I join Team A?
I joined JK and Desmond because I believe in their leadership capabilities. Having worked with both before, their skills are up to standard and both capable of the decisive action that the hall needs in order to initiate improvement and strive for growth. I do believe that KEVIIANS are interested in bettering themselves and the position of this hall and while we would still want to remain a family and not be blindsided by materialistic goals, I do not think we should remain content to rest on our laurels.
Therefore it is my belief that our team is the one capable of delivery of action and our leaders are the ones capable of making the difficult decision when the time calls for it. Anyone can put anything to a majority vote which can and should be done as often as possible, but when the going gets tough and SOMEONE needs to step up and take responsibility for a decision.. needs to make that tough call.. I know that JK and Desmond are leaders thus capable.
With regard to the team they have chosen, I do not deny that the team dynamics are very different. But do not underestimate us just because we are freshmen. We are all leaders in our own right in our individual and external commitments and have just as much experience in leadership as the rest. I feel that being freshmen, and coming in with an open mind and a fresh perspective is an advantage which allows us to be unrestrained by tradition and more welcome to change when the time comes, when the hall needs it. As friends and former colleagues in previous committees, we already have a good work dynamics in place which means we're all the more ready to face the upcoming challenges of office.
Our two sports secs is meant to avoid one person being overworked with the direction in sports we are proposing which will allow us to give the individual captains more time and attention to their needs so that no one is overlooked or disregarded. The same goes for the social and cultural sectors. More people and time has been planned to be allocated to them also in order to maintain and improve how well we've been doing while trying to balance a revamp in the sports sector.
I also believe this team is effective. We take the time to think things through and propose changes and improvements which are FEASIBLE and realistic. Even before we are in office, our efficiency and attitude are clearly demonstrated by the small things we do. Small things like support stickers for our supporters, a photo shoot for our candidates.. We get things DONE and done well and do not hastily pull things together.
I hope KEVIIANS keep and open mind when they look at both teams.. don't just look at the here and now.. look at where you want the hall to be and who can bring you there.
May the best man win, and here's to the 54th JCRC.
I guess I felt I really needed to set things straight. Tell everyone what JK and Desmond should have stood up at that podium and made clear because really we are the victims of a general perception which we cannot rid ourselves of. JK and Desmond did their best at the rally and I'm proud of them but I feel things could have been said a whole lot better and a whole lot clearer. So that was what my note on FB was for. I just needed people to read it and understand even at that late hour, hopefully someone would change their minds and see beyond what's in front of their nose and what will benefit KE in the coming years.
It succeeded I guess. I know I got at least Ming Zhou to vote for us. I don't know how many others were convinced but I think my testimonial did it's job.
So we lost. 84:315 inclusive of the walk in votes today at dinner. I have to say I was expecting it to be a little closer but what the hell, I knew we were going to lose anyway. Had an OSA dinner where I had to go to represent Archery so I made it back just in time to support the rest of my team. All the girls cried and eventually moved Desmond to tears too. Tears of sadness maybe? Tears of frustration at all the hard work not paying off in the end? Tears of finally it being all over and being able to go back to mugging? I don't know but I just hugged each and everyone of them and tried to be brave. But fortunately I made my peace the whole day today, so I'm not as crushed or as devastated as I would normally be.
I'm glad I entered the run for JCRC, and even at the beginning I already felt I won regardless of whether we entered office or not. I won because I had the courage and the confidence to run together with the team I believed in and wasn't afraid to face up to scrutiny and ridicule in this popularity contest. Even now, I'm left to pick up the peices with my friends, friends who drew the line between me and them when they had to pick a side during campaigning. It's difficult to erase that line but I hope that it will slowly fade away after some time.
I will however find it difficult to look at Fang Min the same way again. Work ethic to me has always been the most important part of my life and I think I'm not going to forget too easily what she did to our team. Neither will I forget Xu Cong for causing JK to disregard me as a possible candidate by telling him I was too busy with archery to be committed to hall.
So I guess it's back to the drawing board.. My efforts don't stop here, it's just the beginning =)
2:24 AM
_Me
Debz
10sept
Virgo
NUS Life Science Major
Ex-NUSHS
MO8601 Grad Class of '08
Archery <3
Taekwondo
Tennis
Photography
Blue Orange
MAN U!!!
_Count
Till The End of My Two Years:
_You
_Wishlist
Driving License!
Samick Masters/W&W Inno CXT riser!!
New carbon arrows!
Paua shell !!! <3
Charms:four leaf clover, x'mas, dog, cross,
_Words
_Past
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
August 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
| Get a hit counter here. |