The bad thing about only working for two days a week is that by the time you come back next week, whatever you were doing has possibly already been completed.. The presentation was already set up (and I saw that they actually used what I did! nice =P) and my architect is back from her leave.. (darn..)
In any case, I decided to spare myself the agony and just quietly move over to help J. (the senior architect) today instead .. I did data entry for the first time, and helped her to key in the GFA (Gross Floor Area) of Plaza Singapura and the Atrium which the firm is building right next to it since they are planning to link the two buildings.. After that J explained to me why the area was so important.. First of all (obviously) it needs to remain within local guidelines. Secondly, it is also needed to determine loading weight (I actually pointed that out before she told me ^^). Surprisingly it also has something to do with the number of staircases.. Then the other intern came around to use the computer next to mine and was relating how the GFA gets really complicated and messy especially for buildings with irregular shapes.. (what a headache!)
She was working on the development at Farrer Court which I discovered was designed by ZAHA HADID! And WE were collaborating with her on this project, her first in Singapore.. I mean that's so freaking cool! But the design is a real headache since the buildings are in the shape of "flowers" with the core as the main staircase/bomb shelters and the 6-8 "petals" are the residential units on each floor.. The shape undulates as it goes up so every floor has a separate GFA (my goodness..) and if you think that's not bad enough, there are 7 separate towers altogether.. This is an administrative nightmare haha.. This might be one case where the most expensive unit isn't the one at the top since the middle of the tower has the largest floor area...
Then next I was supposed to try my hand at model making... you know the kind that you see in showrooms? I've never ever done something like this before so I got started off with something simple.. I had to recreate the front part of the proposed design of *Scape Park in Orchard.. The front steps are 150mm high which in a scale of 1:100 means that the model steps have to be 1.5mm but the board we had were all much thicker then that. So I was told that I'd have to go out and buy some.. 0.o I'm quite surprised they trusted me enough to just leave the office during working hours to get material.. I mean I could go gallivant in Orchard for an hour! hahaha
So after I got back with board from art-friend that was EXACTLY 1.5mm thick, I started on my model..
It took quite a while and I'm not even finished yet! I've only got the components done today.. going to have to piece it together tomorrow.. Someone asked me why I was still in the office till so late and I told them that I'm compulsive and I can't leave until I've completed what I needed to do or I can't go home in peace haha ^^
Doing the model is quite beneficial in the design process since you're actually forced to confront how just how feasible the design is..
more tmr!
it takes two to play this game..
10:02 PM
_Me
Debz
10sept
Virgo
NUS Life Science Major
Ex-NUSHS
MO8601 Grad Class of '08
Archery <3
Taekwondo
Tennis
Photography
Blue Orange
MAN U!!!
_Count
Till The End of My Two Years:
_You
_Wishlist
Driving License!
Samick Masters/W&W Inno CXT riser!!
New carbon arrows!
Paua shell !!! <3
Charms:four leaf clover, x'mas, dog, cross,
_Words
_Past
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
August 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
| Get a hit counter here. |