Even in your dreams you end up worrying about work and deadlines .. sigh
MOE Excel Fest was fun, albeit rather stressful trying to memorize pages of script in 2 days >.<
While rehearsing, we had nothing better to do then to rearrange the bottles into weird shapes ^^
E=mc^2!!

Application for my internship has been bumpy so far.. At first, my teacher managed to get an opening at for me to submit my resume but then I managed to apply to another firm after that. So I was kinda stuck since although it's normal to apply for more then one at the same time in the working world, in this case I was obligated to accept the first firm because she went out of her way to get me the opening and I was debating over who to accept if both firms accept my application.
In any case, the first firm is a small one started by a husband and wife team while the second firm is a bigger firm that's basically had a hand in just about every landmark you'd recognize in S'pore. My perception of the situation was that in a smaller firm, the setting would be more relaxed and that I might get a more intimate view into the whole working process of the firm whereas in the larger firm, things might be more cut and dry and I might get a more distant experience then I would get in the first firm. So with the day of the interview coming up for the first firm, I was pursuing an answer from the second firm so as to be able to make a decision about either firm without keeping anyone waiting. Eventually after making phone calls and alot of correspondence, they offered me the position at 500 a month.
So I went for the interview with the first firm and I must say it was quite different from what I expected. The office was really in an ulu place, and a call to the front desk only caused more confusion since the girl had absolutely NO idea what she was telling me. Eventually I managed to get to the office and then I was made to fill out a quirky application firm that required me to draw ^^ So after that was done, I was told that the wife/owner would be down shortly to see me, and by shortly it meant taking close to half an hour to come down. o.0
As if that wasn't enough, during the interview, she couldn't talk for more then 5 minutes without taking one call after another! Actually I find that pretty rude considering that, I am a person after all and the least one could do is to tell the caller to call back and talk to them later.
It didn't take me long to realise that she actually hadn't even read my email before this and had only skimmed through it 5 minutes before, and as such I had to repeat most of what I put on the email to her. Apparently, only having half the week for an internship poses a problem as there would be a lack of continuity to whatever work I was assigned to (as it could very well be finished by the time I came back the next week). In all she felt unsure as to what she could let me me do and feared that I would eventually gain the wrong impression about the whole career from having been caught in the more boring parts of the job.
By the end of the interview it became apparent that my whole perception of the small firm idea was completely off as having a small staff meant that they were unwilling to spare the time to train me and all the work that is usually split up into departments would be done by 1 or a few people handling a project and hence there would be little opportunity for me to help out in any of the processes. It seemed that I was caught in between the 2 types of interns.
1. They type that are sent by the school and eventually do odd jobs around the office
2. Undergrads that are already trained and are geared up and ready to go
Also not being able to work every day posed a problem when it came to payment as usually interns work the entire work week.
All in all, she made it sound SO difficult for them to take me in although she was still always "open" to taking me in.. I think after a while I kinda got the hint.
That kind of left me thinking.. Since it seemed that NOBODY bothers to read my email and whatever little they know of me was through what was said over the phone, I suspected that the second firm was offering me to position not being fully aware of my conditions. So I called them this morning to reaffirm that they knew I would only be able to work half the week which shocked the HR manager who I'd corresponded with. After some scrambling, eventually the Director was asking to see me and I went down to the second firm within the hour.
In contrast to the first firm, they were quite prepared to take me in although the Director had to emphasize the fact that working only half the week meant that there would not be any continuity to the work I did with them. By now this was already something I'd heard before and I explained as I did to the first firm, that this internship was for me to learn and glean as much as I could from the experience.
To my surprise he'd actually READ my email. Unlike the first firm, they actually wanted me to observe and learn and eventually help out where I could.
I left the director's office to finally meet the HR manager who spent the entire time giving me this curious searching look which like either I didn't look like Deborah Wong or that I didn't sound like Deborah Wong ^^ We had a long chat about school, my aspirations and details concerning the internship before I left.
In any case, I took up the offer with the second firm and after a thorough explanation to my teacher to make sure no one felt shortchanged, even she agreed that the second firm might be the better choice..
So at least every thing's settled for the moment. Now let's see how this thing works out over the next few months..
4:02 PM
_Me
Debz
10sept
Virgo
NUS Life Science Major
Ex-NUSHS
MO8601 Grad Class of '08
Archery <3
Taekwondo
Tennis
Photography
Blue Orange
MAN U!!!
_Count
Till The End of My Two Years:
_You
_Wishlist
Driving License!
Samick Masters/W&W Inno CXT riser!!
New carbon arrows!
Paua shell !!! <3
Charms:four leaf clover, x'mas, dog, cross,
_Words
_Past
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
January 2009
February 2009
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
June 2009
July 2009
August 2009
September 2009
October 2009
November 2009
December 2009
January 2010
February 2010
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010
June 2010
August 2010
October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
| Get a hit counter here. |